Rev. Dr. Kenneth C. Larter
• Born in Rochester, New York 6.10.47
• B.S. on Sociology from S.U.N.Y. at Brockport, 1969
• Moved to Scotland in early 1970’s to become State Registered Nurse, working mainly in terminal care, 1972-75
• Trained for pastoral ministry at Free Church of Scotland College in Edinburgh, 1976-79; graduated with Dip. Th.
• Served as minister of Brora Free Church, 1979-85
• Served as minister of Dunblane Free Church, 1985-88
• Moved back to the USA in 1988 to begin the work of HOPE, ministering to people with AIDS and their families*
• Pursued Doctor of Ministry degree from Princeton Theological Seminary, graduating in May, 2001
• Called back into pastoral ministry at Deerfield Presbyterian Church, Cumberland County, South Jersey in summer of 2002
• Married to Evelyn, a musician, for 40 years; four children and four grandchildren
*Read more about Rev. Larter’s work of HOPE on the “In Touch” page.
Evelyn R. Larter
Director of Music
Evelyn R. Larter was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and studied at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music, graduating with honors in concert piano, composition and music education. She performed with the Highlands Sinfonia and on Scottish television. Since moving to the United States with her husband and family in 1988, Evelyn has been an active performer in the Philadelphia area. She was on the music staff of historic Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia for 11 years and is now Director of Music at Deerfield Presbyterian Church in South Jersey, where she organizes an annual recital series with world class musicians. As a composer, Evelyn writes for her small church choir, and creates instrumental and vocal solo hymn arrangements for her musician friends. Over thirty of her anthems have been published by the Lorenz Corporation, St. James Music Press, Augsburg Fortress Publications and Abingdon Press. She is a Colleague of the American Guild of Organists (CAGO) and recently served three years as Dean of the SouthWest Jersey Chapter. She teaches piano and organ throughout the year, and is also on the faculty of the Csehy Summer School of Music in Houghton, NY. Her CD with Daniel Sharp, flute, titled Amid the Winter’s Snow includes the ten jazz carol settings in Augsburg Fortress’s Christmas Glee for Flute publication, and is available through Amazon, ITunes etc. Evelyn is married to the Rev. Dr. Kenneth C. Larter, the minister of Deerfield Presbyterian Church. They have four adult children, and four grandchildren.
(Photograph by Joe Routon)
The church is governed by a Session consisting of nine ordained Elders elected by the members of the congregation.
Current Elders are:
- Larry Barrickman – Chair of Worship Committee
- Joseph Ross, Jr – Chair of Personnel Committee
- Jean Carter – Chair of Membership Committee
- Earl Lupton – Chair of Property Committee
- Mark Weber – Chair of Stewardship Committee
- James Mukoyama
- Nancy Cimprich- Chair of Missions Committee
- Kathy Sawamura
- Linda Wulderk – Chair of Christian Education Committee
Our Board of Deacons handles essential and sensitive needs of congregants and others.
Current Deacons are:
- Peggy Barrickman
- Nancy Camise
- Lynn Carter
- Theresa Denton
- Connie Kirstein
- Joyce McLeod
- Barbara DuBois
- Carol Elwell
- Vinnie VanVliet