Rev. Dr. Kenneth C. Larter
- Born in Rochester, New York June 10, 1947.
- B.S. in Sociology from S.U.N.Y. at Brockport, 1969.
- Moved to Scotland in early 1970s to become State Registered Nurse, working mainly in terminal care, 1972-75
- Trained for pastoral ministry at Free Church of Scotland College in Edinburgh, 1976-79; graduated with Dip. Th.
- Served as minister of Brora Free Church, 1979-85
- Served as minister of Dunblane Free Church, 1985-88
- Moved back to the USA in 1988 to begin the work of HOPE, ministering to people with AIDS and their families*
- Pursued Doctor of Ministry degree from Princeton Theological Seminary, graduating in May 2001
- Called back into pastoral ministry at Deerfield Presbyterian Church, Cumberland County, South Jersey in summer of 2002.
- Became longest serving minister in the history of Deerfield Presbyterian Church (founded in 1737) in May 2019.
- Celebrated 40 years in ministry in September 2019.
- Married to Evelyn, a musician, for 46 years; four children: Simon, John-Mark, Joanna, and David, and five grandchildren
*Read more about Rev. Larter’s work of HOPE on the “In Touch” page.
Evelyn R. Larter
Director of Music
Evelyn R. Larter was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and studied at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music, graduating with honors in concert piano, composition and music education. She performed with the Highlands Sinfonia and on Scottish television. Since moving to the United States with her husband and family in 1988, Evelyn has been an active performer in the Philadelphia area. She was previously on the music staff of historic Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia for 11 years.
At Deerfield Presbyterian Church she organizes an annual recital series with world class musicians. As a composer, Evelyn writes anthems for the church choir, and creates instrumental and vocal solo hymn arrangements for her musician friends. Over thirty of her anthems have been published by the Lorenz Corporation, St. James Music Press, Augsburg Fortress Publications and Abingdon Press. She is a Colleague of the American Guild of Organists (CAGO), has served three years as Dean of the SouthWest Jersey Chapter, and was also the Coordinator of the 2019 Mid-Atlantic Regional Convention in South Jersey. She teaches piano and organ throughout the year, and was formerly on the faculty of the Csehy Summer School of Music at Cairn University in Langhorne, PA.
December 2011 saw the release of her first CD recording, a collaboration with flutist Daniel Sharp titled Amid the Winter’s Snow. In 2015 Evelyn fulfilled a commission from Lydia Calhoun, clarinet, to create many new international Christmas carol arrangements for a CD project entitled Carols for the King from Around the World, which she also recorded and premiered with Lydia. Her website address is www.evelynlartermusic.com.
Evelyn is married to the Rev. Dr. Kenneth C. Larter, the minister of Deerfield Presbyterian Church. They have four adult children, and five grandchildren.
(Photograph by Joe Routon)
The church is governed by a Session consisting of ordained Elders elected by the members of the congregation.
Current Elders are:
- Larry Barrickman – Chair of Worship Committee
- Glenn Denton – Chair of Missions & Evangelism Committee
- Nathan Hetzel – Chair of Membership Committee
- Carl Kirstein – Chair of Property Committee
- Jay Probasco – Chair of Personnel Committee
- Mark Weber – Chair of Stewardship Committee
- Linda Wulderk – Chair of Christian Education Committee
Our Board of Deacons handles essential and sensitive needs of congregants and others.
Current Deacons are:
- Lynn Carter
- Theresa Denton
- Barbara DuBois
- Carol Elwell
- Hannah Kaithern
- Marge Magargal
- Terri Probasco
- Pat Ross